Guidance Resources

Dear Spackenkill Families,

Below is a guide created by Todd School Psychologist Kate Casucci and Todd School Counselor Mary Camburn on the topic of bullying. It provides information and pointers for parents/guardians regarding children in the role of victim, bystander, or bully.

Included in the guide is a list of books pertaining to this topic currently available at the Todd Library.

Should you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us at



Kate Casucci [email protected]

Mary Camburn [email protected]

Kristen Gil [email protected]

Bullying: A Parent's Guide

Guidance Department at Todd Middle School

What do counselors do?

The counselors at Todd consist of guidance counselors, a school psychologist, and social workers that work as a team with students, parents, and teachers. 

How do students get to meet with a counselor?

Counselors make an effort to meet and build relationships with their students. Students are always welcome at the guidance office and can come for advice and support throughout the school day.

How are students referred to a counselor?

Students are referred to the counselors through self-referrals, teachers/staff, other students, parents, administrators, and the nurse.

What can counselors help with?

Some of the topics that have been discussed with counselors include peer relationships, divorce, loss of a loved one, peer pressure, self-esteem, personal difficulties, choices, drugs and their dangers, personal/family difficulties, expressing and managing feelings (anger, sadness, jealousy, etc.), effective communication, homework, grades, student/parent relationships, student/teacher relationships, courses required for graduation, career exploration, setting goals, and other concerns. All issues discussed with a student and/or parents are kept in strict confidence.

In addition to the services mentioned above, counselors work with students in group settings, such as group counseling and mediation, to effectively reach those with common concerns and issues. Group counseling provides a safe haven for students to share feelings and receive support when facing certain issues such as divorce, etc. Mediation between peers, teachers, etc. is sometimes necessary as a solution for an issue or concern.

What other things can counselors help with?

  • Facilitation of parent/teacher conferences. Requests by either teachers or parents for team meetings are scheduled through the guidance secretary and usually take place during a team-meeting period (when a team of teachers share the same free period), or at 2:30 PM.
  • Academic planning occurs in January for scheduling eighth grade students into the ninth grade. An important part of this process is the involvement of the parents/guardians. The middle school counselors work in conjunction with the high school counselors to make this a smooth process.
  • Orientation for incoming sixth grade students helps ease the tensions for both students and parents.
  • Schedule changes are done only on an as needed basis.
  • Home tutoring will be provided if a student has a health problem or physical impairment, which in the opinion of a licensed medical examiner, will cause him/her to be absent from school for an extended period of time. Contact your child's guidance counselor to set up this program.

Can counselors recommend resources outside of school?

Counselors maintain working relationships with agencies that may be of help to families in need. Please contact your child's counselor for recommendations.

What services do the Psychologist and Social Workers offer?

The school psychologist and social workers also provide counseling services, however they often counsel students on a more frequent or long-term basis. The psychologist also identifies students who are in need of special education services or 504 Accommodation Plans. Please contact your child's guidance counselor, the school psychologist, or a social worker for more information.

How are students referred to the Psychologist and Social Worker?

Students can be referred to the psychologist or social worker by parents, teachers, the principal, the other counselors, or themselves. Long-term counseling services will only take place with parental consent. The psychologist and social worker will work with the students to determine the most appropriate counseling times.

How can I contact my child's counselor?

The counselors can be reached during the school day at (845) 463-7825. They can also be reached at the following e-mail addresses:

School counselor for students with the last names A - J [email protected]

School counselor for students with the last names K - Z [email protected]

School psychologist [email protected] 

School social worker [email protected]

How do I request homework for my child?

Homework can be requested if your child is absent from school. Please call the main office or the guidance secretary before 9:30 AM in order for homework to be requested for that day. Homework is available to be picked-up on the guidance office door after 3:00 PM.

How can I help my child prepare for the state assessments?

Additional resources, including sample assessments, for students to prepare for the New York State assessments can be found on the New York State Department of Education web site.

How can my child obtain working papers?

An employment certificate, often referred to as "working papers," is required for minors before they may begin to work. Students who are interested in obtaining their working papers can pick up an application from the guidance office after/on their 14th birthday. Once an application is completed, a certificate will be issued. Students should keep this certificate in a safe place.

How do the counselors support career exploration?

Students explore a variety of careers through their class work. In addition, students will work with the program Naviance through the Family and Consumer Science classes in grades 6 & 8 and through Health classes in grade 7. Naviance is also used in the HS

How do students help other students?

Arrangements can be made for older students to assist younger students. Please contact your child's guidance counselor for more information.